Sustainable Office Policies
Carbon Balanced Business
The office is an early signatory to the AIA's 2030 Commitment. The goal of the 2030 commitment is to design buildings with CO2 reductions of 70% below existing equivalent regional buildings, and reduce CO2 emissions by an additional 10% every five years until buildings are carbon neutral in 2030. Additionally, the commitment requires the firm itself to reduce its impact. The actions being taken by the firm are listed below.
Since 2012, KAP has used100% green renewable electric power.
- Our full time employee corporate vehicle fleet average is 125 MPGe, based on the usage of an electric BMW i3 and a Toyota Prius hybrid. Public transportation and some serious bike riding is done by the remaining staff. Those who do not drive use public transportation.
- Carpooling is highly encouraged when the office goes on corporate outings.
- Energy Star rated computer and printing equipment is used, which are on energy saving setbacks.
- 85% of office lighting is fluorescent fixtures. The remaining lights will be converted by 2018.
- The HVAC system is on a calibrated setback system.
- All of the computer monitors are LCD screens.
- The vast majority of paper products such as copier paper, letterhead, business cards, etc. are printed on recycled content chlorine free paper with 20% FSC certified fibers & 80% post-consumer waste.
- The office has begun to obtain office furniture that is recyclable. One chair in the office made by Contessa is nearly 100% recyclable.
- Old computer and electronic equipment is periodically brought down to the state of the art Chicago Recycling Center.
- Paper products such as napkins, toilet paper, and paper towels are all fabricated from unbleached recycled paper.
- Carpeting, by FLOR, is modular, made of low-VOC and recycled materials and is easily recycled.
- KAP recycles all of the office-generated paper along with various plastics and aluminum cans.
- The use of digital media is favored over printed material where possible.
- The use of disposal cups, plates, etc. is discouraged.
- Preprinted materials use soy-based inks.
- Eco-friendly cleaning supplies are used.